Friday, October 02, 2009

September: The beginning of a new year.

I recently celebrated my 24th birthday, it falls on the 23rd of September. Which is the day that follows the first day of autumn. This has been my favorite season for as long as I can remember. Although, this summer in Minnesota was so mild that I didn't get the chance to get sick of the heat and humidity. The cold came on fast this year, there was no transition time between summer and fall, and the change of clothing that goes along with it. Of course the beautiful colors and the massive changes in my surrounding scenery are still enjoyable.
I know that after my birthday comes October, or shall I say Halloween. Now that I have a three year old nephew in my life, I have taken a liking to this holiday. In years past while I was growing into a young adult, I didn't give it much thought. Except it was a holiday, therefore, a reason to have a party and drink too much. For the past four Halloweens my sister and I have tried to start a tradition of carving pumpkins with my nephew Suede.
Before I know it, Thanksgiving is rounding the corner. I love, love, love Thanksgiving. I live such a blessed life and have so many reasons to give thanks. I spend most of the fall season thinking of all the things I am so thankful for this year. The ending of fall is bittersweet. I love to watch the first snow of the year. It is always so enlightening to see all the now dead grass and leafless trees get a beautiful new look when the first snow covers them. I can sit for hours and watch it snow on this particular occasion.
It seems that most people use the end of the year, also known as New Year's Eve/Day to take inventory of their lives over the past twelve months. What did they accomplish? How did the fail? What things have changed? I on the other hand, do this mental checklist in the fall. Some time in between my birthday and Thanksgiving. I have a much more positive outlook on life during this time. Compared to Christmas time and the new year rapidly approaching. Those holidays are my least favorite. I will get into that on another day, because today I want to make a list of my goals for this upcoming year.

1. Get my divers license reinstated.
2. Buy and insure a car.
3. Find a permanent job that provides a steady income.
4. Quit smoking- completely!
5. Obtain my GED
6. Enroll in and start college courses.
7. Have a steady workout out routine.


Too be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment